Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

General Info

These are just some general tips to Korea, as I thought you might be going on Free & Easy. I preferred F&E because I don't really like to be organized by tour. I like to do my own organisation and researches before setting off to a brand new place. It makes me feel really great to explore around with my own ability. I don't like to be stucked on long journey bus. FYI, Seoul is fantastically buzzling from day to night. Frankly speaking, the number of cars are massive. Serious jams going on and on. Metro is the best source of transport; and it's really cheap. Well, at least cheaper than SG.

Many people claimed that it's very hard to navigate from Seoul to Jeju. Well, before I went to Korea, I'm really stressed. I surf net and read a lot on Korea for transportation. No one was able to guide/help me. For instance:

(1) Getting to Domestic Airport
(2) Purchasing of Domestic Flight Tickets
(3) Price of flight ticket variation
(4) Cheap airline recommendation
(5) Flight duration
(6) Getting to hotel from Gimpo Airport
(7) Navigating around Jeju
(8) Interesting places at Jeju
(9) Pricing of Tourist attraction
(10) Food and accomodation

You might find bits and pieces of information thru internet. However, it's not enough. In support of F&E, I'll give you my alternatives ways to Jeju without Tour. I hope it's going to help you guys out. I'm not sure if any of my information might be wrong. As I said, all these information will be based on my travelling experiences there.

If you need more information, I suggest you to read up in Flowerpod Forum. It's a great forum with many important information. Each time before I travel, it's the best site I'll be camping through the day. There are friendly and kind souls who are willing to offer help/guide/recommendation.

Let's get started then.

Getting to Jeju Island, you got 2 choices of getting there.

(1) You may book Korean Air (Website in Eng) from Incheon to Jeju Airport directly with fixed timing. A round trip cost about $150-200++. As far as we know, Jeju Air is the cheapest, but you can't book it via Internet. You got to have an account created; and the website it's all in korean.

(2) Or you may consider my method of getting there which is faster and CHEAPER. Upon reaching Incheon Airport, take Bus 6001 to Gimpo Airport (approx 30-40 min depends on traffic). The ticket (refer to below picture) cost 7000 won per person.

Upon reaching Gimpo Airport, you will find entire row of different airline to Jeju like Jeju Air, Jin Air and many more. You can randomly select the cheapest. To me, they are more or less the same. The price will appear on the screen. The price is usually cheaper when the plane is about to take off in 30 minutes time. We bought our tickets at SGD60. You can get it cheaper if you are willing to wait. To me, time is money.

Take note. For certain Airline, you can't select your seatings; it's first come first serve basis.

-
-
-
-
-

I booked The Suites Hotel @ Seowigpo Area. I booked it thru Agoda.Seowigpo consists more tourist attraction as compared to Jeju City. The Suites Hotel seems to have a good location and reasonable pricing to me (I really love the hotel and entire area). Definitely, if you can afford, do consider Lotte World Hotel. From Jeju Airport, take Bus 600 to Suites. Bus 600 goes to many other hotels too. You may get the list at the airport if you wished.

The bus will announced the next stop/location and you may alight.

- - - - - - - - - -

Transportation in Jeju Island.
It was said to be impossible to naviagate around in Jeju. It's hard, but not impossible. You can download / refer to Jeju Bus Information System before travelling there. If you have doubts about the buses that go to your bus stop, you may refer to the signage board. It's similar to SG, bus services and stops would be listed. If you are staying at The Suites too, the bus stop is right infront of the hotel; a 1 minute walk and you can see it from the conceirge.

It's walking distance to tourist attraction such as Bear Museum, Chocolate Museum and many more. For hot air ballon, it's slightly further. A cab ride cost about 9000 won. You may purchase tickets @ conceirge, it's cheaper and comes along with special discount. Do check it out.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Metro Transportation.
Some people thought that transport in Seoul is rather expensive, while some thought the otherwise. To me, it's cheap, compared to SG. It might be expensive if you are paying for per ride basis. Yeah, I've done that too. It cost 2000 won per ride (one-way) after getting back the deposit (from machine).

T-money is a good choice if you are staying there for many days. I stayed in Seoul for about approx 10 days. I bought T-money which is a small tag that you could strap it to your hp. It's as small as your SD card. It's is light and brand new that comes with a box package. There's a deposit of 5000 won.

A top-up of 10000won can last me for 8days. Unfortunately, you can get a refund of the balance on your last day, but not the 5000 won. I had no idea why is that so. It's just the way a-ha-a-ha.

So I suggest you to get the local card (I'm not referring to the one-way ride). I forgotten the name of the card, sry abt it. But I remember it's cheaper than T-money. After purchasing the card, do top-up a certain amount.

Definitely, T-money looks cool. You got the make a choice, money or cool.

Photobucket

Wear a good pair of shoes.
I used to find Japan transportation one of my greatest challenge. Well, it's korea actually. The subway tunnel was really long, it has many exits and different shortcuts. It's kind of confusing at times. I wore boots and my feet sore. I change to my pumps, but I walked so much that my sole was worned-out. It just burnt a hole.

A good pair of shoes is important because you really need to walk alot. I'm lost and confused, only bf understand the system the best (walking map, you see). Don't try to be a hero, always read up. You may check out the Metro Map before planning your itinerary.

- - - - - - - - - -

Clothes.
It was 3 degree celsius when I was in Jeju, but -6 degree celsius upon my departure from Incheon. It's really cold, but I adapted well to the weather and coldness after sometime.

In Jeju, it's not that cold ( 3 degree celsius). I can just walked around with my heat tech thermal, cotton tee and a fleece. Whereas in Seoul, the temperature was lower. A fleece, cotton tee, thermal and my Zara coat were just nice. There were times I wore only 1 layer, grab my coat and get gone with it. It's chilly when the wind blow. But it's fine to me. Bf was freaking cold. He always wore his thermal, long sleeve, cardigen, fleece(optional) and jacket coat plus a scarf and beanie.

It all depends on your own body.

- - - - - - - - - -

Heat-tech review.
It works (a little) and has little effect on me. You only feel a little warmer when you get indoor. It's not working that well when you are outdoor. You may approach wholesale market @ Dongdaemun market. You can get a good thermal for 30-40 buck (better than the quality you can get in SG) after bargaining. It's better to get a good one if you are going during Jan period. It's going to be really cold.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thick coat.
You may consider getting a wind breaker @ Uniqolo. Or else, Zara coat is thick enough. Well, Zara coat can be expensive (to me, it is expensive; and I'm extremely poor); 200 over bucks. Dongdaemum sells a great variety of coat. It's cheap you can get a good and nice one for 80 to 100 bucks. Hope that helps.

- - - - - - - - - -

Manners
Korean manners might be alittle *ahem*(well, i hope you get it). Just to clarify and declare that I mean no bad towards anyone, neither am I directing this to a particular person/object. It's very common if they just bump into you with no apologies. It's truthfully very common. I got bump a few times in a day, and I got immune.

The only thing that I can't tolerate is that, after bumping into me ( apparently, he/she was a fault for not watching steps), the person still had the gutso to "TSK" me or stare at me. Are you amazed?

At least, I am.

I've been tolerating TSK and stare quite a few times. Haha, I'm not angry but just a little annoyed + amazed. Ever since then, each time they TSK and stare at me, I'll do it vice versa. I'm that kind of person; a tooth for a tooth. Haha, I'm not a pushover.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I hope these general information can be of help. This is just the beginning. I'll be posting on Day 1 soon. Hope you guys love Korea too. I love Jeju and Seoul, they are amazing. Enjoy you trip or plan a trip there if you haven't.

Cheers,
Jeanne

No comments: