Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Days without oven


24th December 2010 (Christmas Eve)

It's Christmas Eve and we spent our day together making cake and chocolates. Unfortunately, the 2 of us have no oven. We made an ovenless cake eventually. Instead of using the normal oven, we can replace it using steamer or maybe microwave. Get a right receipe then. I was browsing thru the internet when I found this recipe. Just follow the recipe and you can make a cake without an oven. Oleh to ovenless cooking, lol. Before I continue, let's get back to our normal routine.

We had breakfast @ Swensen. Well, they had only All-Day-Breakfast. I recommend you to be an early bird, make your way to Jurong Point and enjoy the authentic one instead. I believe Jurong Point is the only outlet that serves a greater variety of breakfast. All-Day-Breakfast is good too, but it's exp and you are given no other choices. JP outlet consists more variety and you can consider cheaper range as well. I mean it's not necessary to have expensive breakfast. $5 breakfast can be good as well. If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, no matter how expensive it is; it's still bad.

Our Breakfast @ Yishun Swensen

Photobucket
Stupid us, worried that the drinks might not be enough. We paid $5 for add-on. It turned out that we had 4 drinks each (below picture). And that excluded our Gloria Jeans Coffee.

Photobucket
It's Christmas Eve. It's really crowded everywhere. It's not just crowded only, but the quality sucks to the max as well. Yah, I know they are busy, but the soup is totally tasteless. Ok, just put the minestrone soup taste onto your tongue, let it linger around for a little while. You should recognised the taste. The swensen serve minestrone soup too, but it taste like some sardine fish sauce with extra water added. It's fucking disgusting. I never had such poor standard soup, oh I should say it's not edible instead.

Photobucket
The main dish was the best among all.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I ordered Rocky Chocolate but it turned out to be Durian Chocolate. What a special taste. I can't find an explanation for durian taste in my chocolate ice-cream. LOL.

Remember that I just mentioned about the lousy quality. Haiz, now I wanna talked about poor service. Not really that poor, I guess I had used the wrong description. Let me think; AHHH, it's no standard. The waitress served us twice, each time she would tremble terribly till the plates and glasses were shaking on her tray. It took her like 3 to 5 mins just to place my ice-cream on the table. By the time my ice-cream landed properly on the table, it melted. So sad. She even have difficulty in bending down.


Photobucket

We had a scrumptious brunch.

Next, we went all over the place to search for our ingredients. We went cold storage, bought abit here and there before we got to NTUC for the rest of the ingredients. To our surprise, there's no more cocoa powder, all out of stock. In the end, we replaced cocoa powder with Milo powder. We got to be flexible at time, you see. Even all-purpose-flour were off the rack. Thank goodness, I spotted one one the very bottom rack at NTUC, else we'll be buying plain flour, lol. I can totally imagine the consequences of using plain flour, it sure gonna be disastrous like hell.

We were confused by all kinds of flour. There were so many of them, from raising flour to white flour to plain flour; it's never ending. I studied 2 yrs of Home Economics, 2 yrs of F&N, yet I had no idea of the differences and purposes. What a loser I am.

Ovenless Cake

These were the very basic ingredients that we had used. We got no cocoa powder so we used Milo powder. It's kind of unbelievable. Yann looked stunned when I suggested Milo as replacement. She must have thought that I'm blabbering some nonsense again. LOL. I mean it's just flavour, there shouldn't make any much differences. Milo cake might just taste well too.


Photobucket

I was asking Tard for measuring cup. She stared at her ceiling in daze and bewilderment. She was wondering what measuring cup was. In fact, it's the cup we used to scoop rice usually. I can't cook for goodness sake, but I'm proud (grinning from ear to ear) to know what a measuring cup was. Hahaha.

Mixed the ingredients and stir to batter.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket
Layer the tray with butter before pouring in the batter.

Photobucket

Photobucket
While waiting for the cake to be steamed, we butter out tiny little cups with butter.

Photobucket
It turned out well. As Tard's tray wa slightly bigger than usual, the cake was really thin. We cut it into quarters and stacked it into 4 layers thick. It's look so delicious. It's really plain to eat with nothing. We spread Nutella and placed walnut in the middle. We cooked caramel to spread it on the top layer. We decorate it and enhance the taste by adding Orea biscuits to it.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Milo cake.

We were making chocolate ( not disclosing recipe and way of making here, Tard know, I know). Not the chocolate as in toilet that kind. I mean the real chocolates. We were going nuts smelling like chocolate and steaming ourselves natutally. LOL. It's time for dinner, so we went out eventually.

Photobucket
Kim San Leng

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
We got some ingredients from NTUC after dinner. The chocolate buttons pack was expensive but we had no other choices. We got angry with ourselves for not buying more of the normal ones when we were at Northpoint. Hahaha, we ended up taking it out on Tard's ahem (someone). We seemed to have a fun time ranting and taking out on that someone. I pity him from heart, he's really an innocent party.

Our final chocolate product.

Photobucket

Cabbed home and hit the sack.

Good day everyone.

Cheers,
Jeanne

No comments: